My very, very, very sweet friend Canyon has loaned me her Chic Sparrow Crème Extra Wide Traveler’s Notebook in Dark Chocolate. The evening I opened it (I unfortunately had to work late), I jotted down some first impressions I had of this TN.
- The leather is thicker than that of my ZLYC Narrow. Duh! It has pockets and the leather is cut thicker!
- Smells amazing! Nothing like the good smell of real cow!
- Stitching is well done. I knew this was a no-brainer. I’m glad I get to see the stitching up close.
- Dual pen loops. Very handy! Currently only using one of them.
- Leather is heavier than my Narrow. Again, duh! The leather is thicker and the TN is bigger than my Narrow.
- The pockets are nice. Slots/sleeves seem like I could slide my cards in and out easily.
- Long pocket along the back of the card slots/sleeves: easy to get stuff out of.
- 4 elastics!!! My Narrow really only has 1, so I’m excited to have more elastics. More about the insert adventure below.
- I’m going to carry it around with me and wait to be inspired/told how it wants to be used. I’ve learned the hard way about forcing a notebook/planner system to try to work.
So I decided to play around with what inserts or notebooks would fit in the Extra Wide. I’ll be writing about the Piccadilly inserts in this post, and I have a separate post about the journals I tried.
I had had thoughts (which my husband deems dangerous) about those 4 elastics…I’ve watched many a video showing stuffed TNs. I stocked up on Piccadilly notebooks from my university bookstore, where they are on clearance. I have Midori bands…how would 8 inserts look?
8 inserts = do fit, not well, and is heavy!
So I downsized to 6 inserts…
6 inserts fit much better! But the weight was still unacceptable.
(Had the notebooks set up like this: 2 notebooks banded together on the first elastic; single notebook on the second elastic, single notebook on the third elastic, and 2 notebooks banded together on the fourth elastic.)
I downsized again to 4 inserts. One on each elastic. The weight is acceptable and I’ve been carrying it around with me. So far the inserts are like this: Bullet Journal; Short Story notebook; Blog Posts; waiting-to-be-used ruled notebook.
YouTube video link: https://youtu.be/Ymv9OGLDSFA
© Cori Large February 25-26, 2016