To maintain my sanity, I came up with a list of things to do when my CTS is flaring up. During the last couple of weeks, I had to take a break from knitting, let my wrist rest.
My 10 Recommendations for when your Carpel Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) is flaring up:
- Read a book
- Do a jigsaw puzzle
- Organize something (craft room, freezer, pantry…)
- Type up manuscript (I’m working on a manuscript for publication at the moment.)
- Work on Bobbin Lace (or learn bobbin lace)
- Do eBay write ups for stuff to sell on eBay
- Clean out your closet
- Journal…well, this could depend on which had is hurting
- Color in an adult coloring book (I have the Lisa Frank adult coloring book.)
- Watch YouTube videos
I did work on some of these while my wrist was resting. Though I have a theory that I was so tense from not knitting, despite all the other “relaxation techniques,” that my wrist and hand hurt more out of frustration.
I kid you not, once I was “allowed” to knit again (that sounds bad, but I do have a very caring husband), all the tension in my wrist and hand went away. I’ve been taking it slow, taking more breaking, and stretching.
If you suffer from occasional or chronic CTS, what are some other techniques you keep you sanity what you take breaks? Please share in the comments.