Welcome back for Part 2 of the Eric’s Blanket Saga!!! If you missed Part 1, you can find it here.
When we left off, I had finished knitting all 324 squares for this queen size blanket. For the remainder of January 2018, I wove in ends and readied the piles to be assembled into their respective stripes.
But first! I sewed 18 squares together in a vertical strip, and made 3 strips. Once all the strips of a certain color were put together, I broke out the crochet hook to turn the strips into a stripe. There were 3 strips to each stripe.
Using a size H crochet hook (US 8 / 5 mm), I single crocheted the strips together to make a stripe.
THANKFULLY, my brother wanted single color stripes. If he’d wanted things mixed up, I still wouldn’t be done with this thing (as of April 15, 2018 when I wrote this post).
My original gift date was Christmas 2017, and that didn’t happen. My next gift date was going to be March 24, 2018 (the day I finished assembling the Red stripe). That was the original date of the family birthday party, BUT it got moved and combined with Easter (April 1st).
Eric came over the next day, March 25, and finalized the order he wanted the stripes put together. Because once I attached those stripes together, I wasn’t changing anything!
I had pictured it as a vertical stripe blanket, but Eric decided he wanted the stripes horizontal. The final order ended up being: Orange, Blue, White, Black, Red, and Green.
The same Sunday, after returning from lunch at my in-laws, I sat on the floor and crocheted the stripes together. It took six hours, and I finished it at 10:30 pm. The only break I took was to eat dinner.
It was very well received:
Final thoughts: A true labor of love. This was the largest knitted project I’ve made to date. I’m so glad it’s done. Philip and I toasted it’s completion.